Chiara's Cool Coast

where the coast meets the sea of knowledge

Term 3 Intergrated Unit Reflection

| 0 comments

This term I learnt there are many different types of natural disasters including: bushfires, cyclones, tornadoes,  floods, tsunamis, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Each and everyone of them cause destruction to the places they hit but some of them you can prepare for. In this science unit we learnt about extreme weather (natural disasters). Some facts I found interesting were that the more you prepare your property, the better the chance it will survive a bushfire, even if you aren’t there. Swan Hill, Baimsdale, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Bendigo, Warrnambool, Portland, Hamilton and Horsham all are places in Victoria which are very prone to bushfires. Finally, without the old bark and twigs there is nothing sustainable for the fire to burn, without this fuel the bushfire cannot start. Two understandings I had were that there are some bad things about preparing for a bushfire but it is still a very good idea to do so and a few types of natural disasters are common in Australia. Something I’m wondering is when was the last time that someone discovered a new type of natural disaster.

My learning throughout the unit has grown rapidly. Now I know much more than I did when I first began this unit where I didn’t know much at all about the topic and now I have grown to knowing lot more about the unit. This is the same whether I am with the whole class or working in smaller groups or even on my own with my information report. Like when I was working on information report I used information cards to records facts, not only did I learn about the topic, but  I also learnt efficient ways to organise them, etc. I think the most important thing I have learnt would be how to work together better in a group and to summarise all my notes and be able to look back on them and understand what they mean. I learned that when were split into groups and we researched a different area in the natural disaster that we looking at and then got together and summarised all our notes and presented the summary to the class. What I am going to with this knowledge would be if I am in a lesson in the future and I’m taking notes, I can summarise my notes and then understand them when I need to look back on them.

In my assessment matrix I covered everything that was required to do very well and I also included a synthesis which wasn’t required but I included it too. Most of the criteria I was very confident that I had it but a few things I was kind of sure about. Here are my unit goals I set at the beginning of this term and if I had achieved them.

I will understand key extreme weather terms, including: Mantle, Ring of fire, Epicentre, Mid-ocean ridges, Astronomy and Wind erosion.                                                   I now understand the terms: Mantle, Ring of Fire, Epicentre and Astronamy. The others I am still not sure about.

I will understand that sudden geological changes or extreme weather conditions can affect Earth’s surface.                                                                                                                                  I understand that weather conditions can affect Earth’s surface by flooding (washing away things), fire (burning trees and other objects) and many other different sudden geological changes.

I will understand scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives.                                                                                         I understand things like a Seismometer can detect foreshocks to determine whether a major earthquake is coming.

I will compare data with predictions and use evidence in developing explanations.              I can compare data with predictions and use evidence to develop explanations for different situations.

I will identify and explain how analytical images like figures, tables, diagrams, maps and graphs contribute to our understanding of verbal information in factual and persuasive texts                                                                                                                                                           These features can help you when you just want to glance at something and see some specific facts because they make it easier to see for example putting it in bold.

I will plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience

I have achieved this goal because now can plan, draft and publish different types of texts by choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources for appropriate audiences.

Make sure my book work is a lot neater and is easier to read.

I have tried to achieve this goal and I think I have but I am not 100% sure.