Chiara's Cool Coast

where the coast meets the sea of knowledge

Our Excursion to Sea Life Reflection

| 0 comments

Today we went to Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium where we learned about animals and their adaptations to their environment/habitat. I learned a lot about marine animals’ young and how they were protected because of their unique adaptations. Like how the Port Jackson Shark’s egg was shaped as seaweed to camouflage and that their young can sense movement (predictors) even when they are still inside the egg. Also King Penguins’ chicks are born brown and big to look like rocks. I learned these kind of adaptations are essential for survival against predictors. The growth of any animal is changed by the environment that they live in like how the Lungfish which could potentially survive in a drought and a flood because it breaths air and water thanks to it’s adaptation of having gills and a lung (hence it’s name).

Five month old King Penguin chicks

This excursion answered my question that was “What would happen if you slowly put an animal into a different habitat?”. I think that if you did that the animal would adapt over time because of evolution and maybe start a new species like how sharks and stingrays are still related.

I also learned that marine animals communicate by their body language like how the Lion Fish moves its poisonous fins to warn other fish. All fish understand this language unlike the different languages humans use to communicate.

Something I am wondering is how big the feathers are on King Penguins and why they are that big?

This is the link to the aquarium website:

https://www.melbourneaquarium.com.au/